- Unless stated otherwise, events are open to the public.
- All Indoor Events and Birding Wing Events are held at the London Civic Garden Complex, unless indicated otherwise. See the event details for location specifics.
- If attending an Outdoor Event, please review these important guidelines.
- Events prefixed with “TTLT” are run by and the responsibility of the Thames Talbot Land Trust. Please direct any questions to the TTLT at email@example.com.
- For instructions on how to use the Events Calendar, please review the introduction.
- This event has passed.
Virtual Meeting – Astronomy in Isolation: Fun Stargazing Activities for Those Stuck at Home
Friday, June 26 @ 7:30 pm - 9:00 pm
(Open to the public)
The summer months offer great opportunities to enjoy the wonders of the Universe. To be amazed by what the night sky has to offer, you don’t need a telescope or any prior astronomy knowledge: a pair of eyes, a backyard or a driveway, and a healthy dose of curiosity can turn you and your loved ones into avid sky watchers in a short amount of time.
In this presentation Jan Cami (Associate Professor at Western University and the Director of the Hume Cronyn Memorial Observatory) will start from the absolute beginnings (“the sky is up”) and show you how you can experience many interesting astronomical phenomena for yourself this summer: the apparent motion of objects in the sky; recognizing constellations; seeing the changing phases of the Moon and getting to know the wandering planets; catching shooting stars during meteor showers. As a cool space technology bonus, Jan will also show you how you can see the International Space Station or trains of Starlink satellites for yourself. He will include a list of tools, resources, apps and web sites that can further help you explore the Universe from your backyard.
The information you need to join the meeting is provided below:
Topic: Nature London Zoom Meeting
Time: June 26, 2020 07:30 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
Link to Join the Zoom Meeting: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83165275496?pwd=YTVIOFlrNUd2T1pZbjBPbnBXZ3FTQT09
Meeting ID: 831 6527 5496
Click on the link below for a brief tutorial on how to join a Zoom meeting:
In general, you click on the Zoom Meeting link and follow the prompts. For most people this is a straightforward process. Gordon Neish will be the host and can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.