- Unless stated otherwise, events are open to the public.
- All Indoor Events and Birding Wing Events are held at the London Civic Garden Complex, unless indicated otherwise. See the event details for location specifics.
- If attending an Outdoor Event, please review these important guidelines.
- Most events require advanced registration. Each individual must register separately for outdoor events. Virtual events only require a single registration per household. For assistance, see the Job Aid on Registering and Unregistering for Events.
- For instructions on how to use the Events Calendar, please review the introduction.
- This event has passed.
(Members Only) Hybrid Meeting – Back Door Birding
Friday, March 24 @ 7:30 pm – 9:00 pm
(NATURE LONDON MEMBERS ONLY) Note that this is a HYBRID meeting with both IN-PERSON and VIRTUAL attendees. Please:Back doors (and windows) of our homes are convenient portals to birdwatching. Everyone’s back door and yard offers a little different experience and may attract a different collection of birds. Laure will tell the story of two London neighbourhoods she has lived in for the past seven years, highlighting some of the exciting local species she has seen and photographed from home. She will discuss habitat values and how improving vegetation structure and variety in your yard and neighbourhood may enhance your yard list of bird visitors. Laure Wilson Neish has been a birder for 33 years, sparked by a chickadee in Ottawa. She is a retired teacher and park naturalist, having shared nature interpretation with all ages. Bird photography became her passion before the arrival of digital cameras and she was surprised and rewarded with the Grand Prize in National Wildlife magazine photo contest many years ago. Since then, her photos have been included in many print publications, signage and apps. She has been a long-time contributor to citizen science, collecting data for provincial bird atlases, Christmas Bird Counts, eBird, Vaseux Lake Banding Station (BC) and writing blogs for Bird Friendly London. She and her husband have enjoyed traveling to all corners of North America to look for bird “lifers”.
- Register for the meeting using the same name and email address associated with your membership.
- If attending in-person:
- You are expected to be fully vaccinated.
- Masking will be required.
- Each person attending must register separately.
- You are asked to complete and pass the Government of Ontario Covid-19 self-assessment at home ( https://covid-19.ontario.ca/self-assessment/ ) no more than 24 hours before the start of the event. If you are unable to do this or the self-assessment recommends you self-isolate, please refrain from attending the event and unregister at least 12 hours in advance so that someone else can register. For details on now to unregister, please see the Job Aid on Registering and Unregistering for Events.
- If attending virtually:
- Only register once.
- Connect to the virtual meeting using the full name used to register to ensure that you will be granted entry. If you have previously used Zoom and used a nickname or unrecognizable name, please see this guide on how to change it: https://teaching.nmc.edu/knowledgebase/changing-your-name-in-a-zoom-meeting/.
- Note that the cut-off for registration is noon the day of the event.